Friday 5 June 2009

Day 3 - Last Minute Fun

My brother-in-law gave me a piece of advice the night before I started this internship and I found it strange at the time. He said I would find myself enjoying the job so much that I wouldn't mind working overtime and that I may not even notice it. Sometimes, he said, you'll just want to keep working, but you need to know when to go home, because you have a wife and a life outside of work to which you need to attend. I'm the kind of guy who has always looked at the clock every few hours, waiting for the eight hour shift to end so that I could get out as soon as possible, so when he told me this, I shrugged it off.

So today (Friday), we had an assignment come through about and hour or so before it was quitting time and it needs to be ready by Monday morning. Since I'm working on being an awesome copywriter, but I'm far from my goal at this point, I can write some decent headlines and copy but it requires more effort than a seasoned writer. For this reason, I was plugging along at it and didn't notice that two hours had quickly passed by. I wasn't ready to leave yet (I'm still not ready with lines I think are good enough), but I knew that I needed to get out of there. I needed a change of scenery so that I could let my mind rest. The worst thing I think I can do right now is work so feverishly that I burn out too quickly...so I guess I'll be working a bit more on things today and tomorrow.

On an unrelated note, I was walking along the street, taking a little mid-afternoon break, and I saw a van parked with a sign printed on it that said something like "The Homeless Advocacy Group" or something like that. Some dude was standing behind the van, doors swung open, handing out hygiene kits and food and stuff to a couple of residentially disabled people. As I walked past, one of the guys asked, "do you guys have any penis pumps?" I guess it's a valid question, but it took the guy off-guard. I should have waited to hear his response, but it was getting late and I had some writing to do...who knows - maybe he has all kinds of stuff in that van.

1 comment:

  1. penis pump? seems like a reasonable request to me....

    ReplyDelete