Monday 8 June 2009

Day 4 - Terminology

It's late and I'm ready for bed, so this is going to be a quick one. Here's what I learned today - a "pitch" is for a new business proposal. After that, it's just "client presentations." It may seem obvious to you, but I wanted to give a heads up, because you look like a goon if you use the wrong words when you're trying to be hip. I should know. My skinny jeans are giving me "muffin top" and rashes on my inner thighs.

Oh yeah, here's something else. I came to a realization last night - this internship is replacing the time I would have spent in school and on homework (approx. 20-30 hours) but, considering I got laid off from Wells Fargo and I'm currently living on a less than generous severance, this is also acting as my full-time, 40/hr per week job...So I should really be spending 60-70 hours a week at this place. Before this realization, I was just going throughout my 8-hour day like I've done in all of my previous jobs, and not really thinking about overtime as a learning opportunity (because at all my previous jobs, it was just a hassle and a drain on my soul). Now that I'm recognizing overtime as an opportunity to hone my writing skills, and at the same time try to impress my CD enough to give me a job when all this is over, I'm embracing the OT.

As a caveat though, I still get burned out after working on radio scripts for 20 hours. So, I'll still give myself an out if all that's coming from my ballpoint pen is ballbag-errific.

No comments:

Post a Comment