Monday 6 July 2009

Day 22 - Production Value

There was another writer who came knocking at the door for employment recently. Needless to say, it made me a little nervous, my being so wet behind the ears still. Apparently, this guy had worked at a handful of good places and had some pretty good stuff in his book. I started to feel inadequate and like my internship-cum-employment prospects were dwindling, until I heard two bits of good news.

First, as a very junior writer, I'm dirt cheap. (It's true - ask my wife.) That can't be underestimated, especially in this economy.

Second, having even a little production experience is worth more than several better-than-average print campaigns, because that means there's one less thing you have to be trained on by the agency and the more senior people. I may not have much, but I've worked on a little radio and a little TV, so that gives me a little cushion in my current position and a leg-up in my next pursuits.

It's not a guaranteed key to employment, so I'm not getting cocky or anything - far from it. But it's still good to know that I have a little bit of an edge for the future. the only thing left is learning to actually write well.

No comments:

Post a Comment