Thursday 9 July 2009

Day 24 - The Talk

I asked my CD if we could have a meeting as a sort of internship "mid-term review." He graciously accepted and kindly took me to lunch. (I had a smoked trout sandwich with bacon on it, and it was awesome.) I basically wanted to know where I stood and what the chances were of getting hired (since this is my ultimate goal and would really make the next few months a little less stressful). Here are some things he said:

- You're better than average, but you're not indispensable yet. Keep working hard and you'll be in a good place.

- It feels like you'd be a good fit for the company, but we need to make sure that we have another salary in the budget.

- In the past, there has been another writer and myself and we've been able to write everything that came across the plate, so we're able to handle the current workload. Getting some new clients would require another writer and we'd have some more money to work our salaries with.

- (When asked if I should be looking at other jobs and preparing for the whole "we're NOT hiring you" conversation) I wouldn't say to look aggressively, but keep all your options open.

I'm sure there were other things he said, but those are the most prominent. Good stuff. It's pretty encouraging, but hopefully I can get the coveted "indispensable" title soon. and i mean SOON.

No comments:

Post a Comment